Sunday, November 22, 2009

Almost a Brisket

I wanted to do Brisket.  Then I asked my supermarket butcher if he had some.  He pulled out something weird from the 'back' and said it was $5 a pound.  I said never mind and bought another cheap roast like last week.  I had been planning to entertain some friends, but still that would have been about $15 just for meat.  We'll save that for Christmas or something.

So, basically same as last week.

1 3ish lb. roast
1Tbsp. montreal steak seasoning
1 bottle bbq sauce

Slow cooker (oven) on low.  Rub meat with seasoning.  Pour on BBQ sauce.  Used shallow roaster.  Covered with foil.  Put it in at 9am, pulled it out at 5pm.  Tender, and juicy.  I literally couldn't taste it.  I have a cold.  I could have eaten the venison liver I saw in the store fridge (which, by the way, is disgusting!) and not known the difference.

Hubby said he liked it.  I slow roasted potatoes with it in a separate dish all day.  Can't tell you what they tasted like, but they were definitely done cooking :-)  Next time I think I'll roast them the traditional way so they are more crispy on the outside.  I like a crispy potato.



I did also make rolls.  I need to make rolls for Thanksgiving dinner, but I don't love working in my mother-in-law's kitchen.  No one has ever said anything to make me feel that way, I just always feel like I'm in the way and making lots of noise while everyone else tries to watch tv.  So I made enough for 4 dozen.  I ended up with 5 dozen.  I froze 4 dozen pre-shaped rolls and baked the other dozen for dinner.  They were gone by the end of the meal.  Lil' Chef's love 'em.

Kim's Dinner Rolls: (From my friend Kim, who always has the best recipes.)


Bake at 400 for 9 min.

Makes 4-6 dozen

1 stick (1/2 c.) butter or margarine
½ c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 eggs
7 c. flour
½ c. water

Place butter, sugar and salt in mixing bowl.  Warm or scald milk, pour into mixing bowl to melt or soften butter.  Let cool for yeast.  Add yeast and proof 10 minutes.  Add eggs.  Mix using paddle or whisk attachment.  Add 6 cups flour.  Mix using bread hook.  Add ½ cup water and remaining 1 cup of flour.  Knead 1 to 2 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.  Let rise until double.  Shape by rolling dough and cutting, or by pinching desired amount and rolling into a ball.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 9 minutes.


To freeze: shape rolls and layer over parchment paper.  One layer of rolls, one layer plastic wrap, then another layer of rolls in between, etc.  That way they can freeze all at once, and not stick together.  After they're frozen put them in a zip top bag all together. They'll keep for a couple of months.  To use, let thaw 2-4 hours depending on the temp. of the room they are in.  Keep covered with greased plastic wrap while rising.  Bake as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment